Are you checking your smoke detectors? To keep your home safe, you should be testing your smoke detectors twice a year. Simply push the “Test” button and you should hear the alert of your smoke detector. If by chance you do not hear the high pitched, loud sound of your smoke detector, there may be several reasons why:
1. Your battery is dead.
2. The Smoke Detector is defective.
3. There is an issue with the connection (in the case of an electrical smoke detector).
If you have changed the battery and tested your smoke detector, and do not hear its sound, you should contact an electrician. An Electrical Experts™ technician can determine the problem and suggest the best solution.
Most homes have at least one smoke detector (or smoke alarm). These small devices are one of the most important safety devices in your home. If your home has well-maintained smoke detectors, the chances of your family surviving a house fire are greatly increased. Most fatalities due to house fires occur in homes without working smoke detectors. In addition, the smoke detectors are not located properly or not working due to lack of maintenance – offering no protection for your family.
Your family will have maximum protection if:
1. Your smoke detectors are properly located.
2. You replace any batteries at least annually. This includes 9 volt batteries in regular battery powered detectors and back-up batteries for detectors wired into your electrical system.
3. You replace the entire smoke detector every 8-10 years (or in the case of long-life lithium batteries, in accordance with manufacturer’s instructions).
4. If a member of your family is hearing-impaired, your home should have special detectors which shine lights or vibrate when they detect smoke.
Recommended locations for a smoke detector:
- At each level of your home.
- In each bedroom.
- Within 10-15 feet of the door to each bedroom.
An Electrical Experts™ technician can help you plan the best position for your smoke detectors and install them for you. We offer several types of smoke detectors:
1. DELUXE powered by 9v battery provides smoke and fire detection.
2. PREMIUM hardwired, interconnected with 9v battery backup provides smoke and fire detection.
3. OPTIMUM hardwired, interconnected with 9v battery backup provides 4-in-1 alarm: smoke and fire, Carmon-Monoxide, and natural gas. Electrical Experts™ offers this 4-in-1 alarm exclusively.